Monday, January 12, 2015

Nice money

So I had this customer come in the other day to close his accounts because he was moving back to the UK. In needing the funds out of his account, I talked him into taking a money order. Gave him a bunch of reasons and then said, "...and besides, then you're not waking around with that much cash." He said he wouldn't do that back home, but here we're just too nice and polite. "You'd probably give it back to me if I dropped it!" 

In my head I was thinking, "Yea. You woudln't?" But in thinking about it, I realized I had a limit to my honesty. If I found $3000, I'd turn it in, no question. But $5? No chance. That being said, I turned in $10 at my local community centre because it has a teen centre and I remember how hard I had to work for $10 when I was that age. Took me three months to get back when no one claimed it! Talk about being punished for being good...
My coworker said she'd turn in $100, because of it goes unclaimed, you get it back and she couldn't handle the karma implications. I found a kobo reader one time and since it was in a purple case, I just assumed fate was treating me. I felt so guilty I had to turn it in to a store that sold them so they could look up the account, and hopefully get it back to them, but either way my conscious is off the hook. So it begs the question, what would you turn in? What would you keep? I love hearing people's reasoning most of all! 



No comments:

Post a Comment