Tuesday, September 9, 2014

First ride


My cousin and I went on our first of many training rides this past Sunday. I've signed up to do the 2015 Ride to Conquer Cancer, and should I make my fundraising goal of $2500, I'll ride 260km from here to Seattle next August. Sundays ride was significantly less since it was my first time on my new bike, we rode 18.4km in an 1h18mins, with an average speed of 14.1km. All of these stats were tracked on a bike monitor thingy my cousin has .Very cool really, I WANT ONE!! 

We had a rocky start, since she lives in a complex with a steep, sharp incline to get to the road. There I was, new biking shorts, new bike, grunting up the very SMALL hill thinking, "what on earth have I gotten myself into this time..." And when we got to the top, we had a frustrating encounter with a hand bike tire pump, but I was just happy to have a change to catch my breath. 

The GREAT thing about this ride was I discovered I do in fact like long distance biking. Because that would be the absolute shits if I didn't. I also discovered there's a lot to gears, and changing them to match hills and such. Weird. I just had this idea I was going to jump on the bike and go. A long ways. There's SKILL involved? 

I did ok though, mostly with the guidance from my ubber patient cousin. "So Jay, we do try not to ride in the middle of the road like that..." Near the end of the ride, I was liking it so much, we did an extra loop to make the route longer. "Nah, I'm good to go, LET'S DO THIS!!" 

I'm going to train my arse off, and I'll get my body ready, I need your help to get there though. I've included a link to my fundraising page: 


I signed up to do this ride on Father's Day, and the money I raise will go directly to the type of Cancer that Dad fought, and lost earlier this year. This cause, this ride, this challenge is close to my heart. Help me get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment