Thursday, April 14, 2016

Bike on the bus


Last week when my car was in the shop, I was getting creative about how to get around. Thank you to all the kind souls who gave me rides, and offered me rides. And picked me up last minute when I got stuck. On a morning I started late, I decided to push my comfort zone and take my bike on the bus. 

For regular transit goers, you might be wondering how it's pushing the bounds of where I'm comfortable, but I've only ever taken my bike on the bus once, years ago with a guy friend who did all the loading and unloading for me.  


I woke up at 6am the morning I was to embark on my adventure, to ease my anxiety I watched a YouTube video translink put out about how to load and unload. It described the ediquitte and when to do what, but it was a little skimpy on the actually physical loading. Which with a bus full of people in a hurry, was the scariest part. The rack they have is easy though, with big yellow parts and instructions. I have small arms, so it was probably harder for me, and I managed. 

Actually the whole thing went off without a hitch. The worst part was watching my bike bounce around on the front, knowing that should it bounce off, it's going to immediately be run over by a bus. And don't forget to put the rack back up when you're done, or you'll get honked at. 


But all the inspirational quotes aside, I think it's important to do things that scare us. Constantly push the box of where you're comfortable. I was all elated, on an epic adventure, and everyone else was just commuting to work or school. That's ok! 

No comments:

Post a Comment